One of the techniques that I love to use (and was just emailed to me by my Assistant Principal) is the:
One Breath Rule + Intention. Deep breathing is probably the most effective tool in our mindfulness practice, and is the one we seem to forget them most when we are feeling ungrounded. Deep breaths can reduce stress, focus your mind, calm your emotions and make you more focused and productive. Here is a simple technique to practice:
- Pause+ come home to presence - allow yourself to be in this moment
- Consciously relax your whole body
- Inhale gently, deeply + exhale slowly (I counsel my students to pretend you are blowing out through a straw)
- Reconnect with your intention - what is it that you need from this moment? Do you have a grounding word?
- Engage your next activity with greater presence + intention.
As always be well